Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Where would you put it?

During the summer months our church doesn't have a children's church program, which means that all of the little kiddies get to go to big church. Besides trying to keep them quietly entertained, I am also trying to get them involved in the whole big experience in some little ways they can hopefully understand. Like letting them put money in the collection plate and explaining to them that they are giving their money to God. I have been giving them each a dollar to hold on to and at the right time, put in the plate. Now Jacob would prefer that I give him coins over dollars any day, don't know why but for some reason he thinks the change is better. But coins would bring on a whole new set of problems, so I stick with the paper. Anyway, a couple of Sundays ago at the beginning of church I give Jacob and Madison their money. Jacob folds up his dollar and tucks it into his pocket. Madison, wanting to do exactly what her big brother does, takes her money and rolls it up in this half crooked fold and begins to search frantically for her pocket. When she doesn't find one, she does what any good southern young lady would do, she stuffs it in the front of her dress and then goes about her coloring. While I am doing the church snicker, I flash back to Sunday mornings as a kid with my grandmother when she would stuff her tithe in the front her dress, along with her house keys. Who knew you could put so much stuff up there with out it looking awkward? Guess Madison gets that from Mama Pearl.

1 comment:

hicksfamilycircus said...

OH Julie! I love it. You gotta love the church giggle moments anyways! We have the same situation at Riverchase and every Sunday my dad gives each girl a quarter (b/c quarters are just better than dollars - it's apparently a fact). I've never seen one of my girls put the quarter down her dress though. Too funny. Thanks for teh laugh.